Everybody avoids artificial food color into their food that's why we prefer organic, an example is matcha, it's popular for making green colored drinks and desserts but if I want other substitute, I go for avocado, a healthy and all natural food coloring. My recipe for today is avocado marbled cupcake. A greenie batter, filled with dark chocolate ganache giving a bitter-sweet taste and to top of it, its done by marbling, an art technique to make cupcakes lusciously looking dessert.
2 whole avocado, mashed
1 3/4 all purpose flour + a pinch of salt
1 1/8 sugar
1 whole melted butter or 2/4 cup vegetable oil
2/4 cup milk or 2 eggs
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp vanilla essence (optional)
For this recipe, I used GOYA Easy Melt Chocolate Buttons, just choose below:
1. Dark chocolate (brown pack)
2. Milk chocolate (blue pack)
***You can use any brand if it's not available.Before baking, add 3/4 cup milk in a bowl of 1 pack chocolate buttons, steam or microwave until it melts. Let it cool in a room temperature. Put melted chocolates in an ice tray. Chill overnight.
●Put sugar in a large bowl.
●Pour in vegetable oil or melted butter - microwave for 2 minutes or Heat 2 cups of water in a casserole than get a heat safe large bowl with butter then put above the casserole, wait until it melts.
●Whisk them together with milk or eggs, baking soda, baking powder, vanilla essence.
● Gently toss in half of the flour.
● Fold it using a spatula.
● Fold in remaining flour.
● Mash avocado by a fork or a masher.
● Mix avocado in the batter.
● Grease baking tray with the melted butter.
● Put paper cups.
● Base the filling of cupcakes on the rim of the cup tray, not the paper cup itself. You can use by any means like parchment paper/icing cone or just using a spoon:
1st option - Put a little amount of batter first then put 2-3 chocolate buttons if EGGS ARE USED ONLY in a batter then cover the buttons with a small amount of batter.
2nd option - Any batter (use eggs or any substitute for eggs), fill 1/3 of the cup with batter. Stick in chilled chocolate cube then fill again with batter.
● Preheat oven at 180° Celsius or 350 Farenheit
● Bake for 20 - 25 minutes. (check cupcake by using a toothpick, if batter doesn't stick it means, it's done)
● Rest cupcakes for a while on a grid tray.
● Serve with a hot or cold drink.